Building Energy Assessments– City of Eugene – Eugene, Oregon
In an effort to help the City of Eugene meet their 2030 Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and fossil fuel reduction goals, Solarc performed energy assessments and created action plans for seven (7) representative city buildings. The City of Eugene has passed an ordinance to reduce GHG emissions by 60% by the year 2020 and reduce fossil fuel consumption by 50% by the year 2030.
The energy action plans that were developed are schedules of economically viable facility improvements that are anticipated to exhibit a reduction in energy costs (as well as GHG emissions.)Improvements are characterized within three categories – tune-ups, re-commissioning, and energy conservation measurements (capital investment opportunities). Tune-ups and re-commissioning are considered as Operations and Maintenance measures that are often funded from operating budgets.
Subsequent to the completion and delivery of the Energy Action Plans, Solarc has been retained by the City to develop a comprehensive GHG reduction plan for all building-related GHG emissions. Work on plan development is ongoing as of June 2017. Identified strategies included in the plan involve re-commissioning, solar thermal systems, multiple levels of fuel switching from natural gas to electric-drive heat pumping, and photovoltaic solar electric systems.
• Sites audited: Police Headquarters, Amazon Community Center, Roosevelt Public Works Building, 2nd and - Chamber Campus (911 Center, Fire Station #2, Fire Logistics, Police/Fire Training Building)
• Combined site area: 202,000 sq.ft.
• Annual energy savings identified: 2,959 MMBTUs
• Annual energy cost savings: $53,870
Improvement Strategies Identified
• Occupant education
• Condenser coil cleaning
• Retro-Commissioning opportunities included thermostat setting points, schedule adjustments and chiller and boiler plant set point optimization
• Energy efficient lighting upgrades including existing system retrofits and upgraded controls
• Condensing water heating upgrades
• Vending machine occupancy controls
• HVAC controls replacement
• HVAC system replacement and upgrades